Bootloader is the biggest barrier when we want to root the phone or want to install a custom ROM. So our first step is to unlock the bootloader to get the complete access to the system. To unlock the bootloader of Huawei or Honor smartphones, you need a 16-digit code which is called the bootloader unlock code. So here’s how you can get the code and unlock the bootloader of your Huawei smartphone.
- Unlocking Bootloader might void your warranty. The service center can deny a repair under warranty if your device is detected as a bootloader unlocked device.
- All your data will be erased so make sure you have made a backup in place before unlocking your bootloader.
- We are not responsible is your device gets bricked or gets into bootloop, but still we will be helping you to get out from these type of situations.
Getting the Bootloader Unlock Code
- If you have a Huawei ID, skip steps 1 & 2. If you don’t have Huawei ID, create your ID by entering the details on this page.
- An activation link will be sent to your registered email ID. Check your mail and click on the activation link to activate your account.
- Open the code request page and login to your account (if needed).
- Accept the general unlock agreement.
- Fill in the details of your device and hit Submit.
Phone model – Find in Settings> About> Model Number.
Serial Number – Find in Settings> About> Status.
IMEI Number – Dial *#06# to find out the IMEI number.
Product Identification Code – Dial *#*#1357946#*#* to find out.
- You will get the the Unlock code. Save it somewhere as you will be needing it for unlocking bootloader.
Unlocking the Bootloader
In order to unlock the bootloader, perform the following steps:
- Install the ADB utility as well as the drivers. You can download the minimal package from here.
- Boot your Huawei smartphone into fastboot mode. To do that, turn off the phone and then press and hold the volume down and power keys together till the logo shows up.
- Once in fastboot mode, connect your phone to the PC using a USB cable.
- Open command prompt on your PC and type the following command.
fastboot oem unlock 123456789012345(Replace “123456789012345” with your 16-digit bootloader unlock code).
- Press Enter and wait for the process to complete.
If all goes well, your device’s bootloader will be unlocked and reset to factory state. You can then root the device or install custom recovery/ROM. If you want to install custom recovery you can check this tutorial – How to Install Custom Recovery on Android