Update: WhatsApp has made some backend changes in the past few days and the method below is not working anymore. Please stand by as we look for alternatives. Don’t uninstall if you have a working install of WhatsApp!
Nokia X family, the first Nokia phones running Android have already started seeding in various markets and if you’ve picked one up, you’d notice that WhatsApp is not present in the Nokia Store yet. Not only that, even if you sideload the APK of the latest version of WhatsApp, it will not work and produce a Device not Supported error.
How to Install WhatsApp on Nokia X, X+, X2 and XL
The standard WhatsApp version does not support the Nokia X Software Platform, so we will make use of a little advanced version, i.e. WhatsApp Plus. Here’s how to make WhatsApp work on the Nokia X Devices (inc. Nokia X, X+, X2 and XL)
Part 1 – Install WhatsApp (original)
- Important – Change your phone’s date to 2nd of August (Don’t worry you can change it back to the preset date afterwards).
- Download WhatsApp (original) from this link. It is an older version which lets you register.
- Open fastlane to see the download progress. When it finishes, tap on the 1file downloaded. The app installer will open. If you see an error, read below. Else skip to the step 3.
If you see Blocked error, tab on settings in the same dialog, scroll down and tick the box in front of Unknown sources. Tap on OK to accept the confirmation. Now repeat the step 2.
- Tap on Install to Install the WhatsApp Messenger on your phone.
- Open it and complete the initial setup.
- When it gives the Not Supported error, proceed to the Part 2 below.
Part 2 – Remove WhatsApp (original) and Install WhatsApp Plus
- Exit WhatsApp when it says that Your Device is not Supported and open the homescreen.
- Long tap on the WhatsApp icon and tap on the red cross to remove (uninstall) it.
- Now download WhatsApp Plus from HERE (Free).
- Install it just the way you installed WhatsApp earlier. Make sure to use the same phone number as you used in the original WhatsApp as otherwise it will not work.
- Open WhatsApp Plus and use it just the way you use WhatsApp. All your friends will be there.
- You can now revert back to the present date and still enjoy WhatsApp.
WhatsApp+ works fine on the Nokia X devices! Here are some images of it in action. Tap on them to enlarge.
Please comment below if it works for you or not. Your feedback will help others