Update: Digipurse card no longer works on international websites.
Union Bank’s DigiPurse wallet is yet another way to get a free virtual card in India. But it is amazing and unique because the virtual card offered with DigiPurse can be used both domestically and internationally. Even on the international portals where most of the physical debit cards do not work due to forced 3D code (or 2FA) requirements.
The DigiPurse virtual card can be used to make purchases at PayPal, Google Play, iTunes, Amazon.com, AliExpress, MailJet or possibly any website you can think of. It just works everywhere. If the portal supports 3D/2FA, the payment page will be redirected to ask for the same, otherwise the payment will just go through without asking for the 3D/2FA code.
How to Get the DigiPurse Virtual Card
The Union Bank DigiPurse Wallet is available as a smartphone app for all the major platforms i.e. Android, iOS and Windows Phone.
- Download the DigiPurse app from the respective app store of your platform.
- Enter the mobile number and then provide the OTP to verify.
- Enter the personal information to complete signup.
- Set login and transaction password.
- Load the wallet with at-least ₹500 via a Debit Card, NetBanking or IMPS. The first load cannot be smaller than ₹500. It will take around 24 hours for the load to show up in your wallet account, so patience is needed.
- When credited, tap View Card and start using the card wherever you want. To use within India, you need to set up the Verified by Visa 3D code during 1st transaction.
DigiPurse Wallet Virtual Visa Card is a good option for students and freelancers who are not willing to keep high average monthly balance requirements of private banks. It also allows for limited spending and is a safe option especially because the card can be charged internationally without any OTP sent to the mobile phone.
Other Features of DigiPurse Wallet
While the virtual card is the center of attraction, the DigiPurse Wallet by UBI offers a bunch of other features as well. This includes:
- Bill Payments of Credit Cards, Electricity, Insurance, Telephone, etc
- Recharge of Data Card, DTH and prepaid mobile
- Send money to others’ DigiPurse or IMPS/NEFT to bank account
- View detailed card statement
Important – Keep Notes of Transactions
Unlike most of the normal bank accounts or debit cards, the DigiPurse does not provide you with a detailed transaction history and you cannot judge where you’ve used the money if you do not keep notes of your daily transactions. Hence, if you have a functional digipurse wallet, be sure to keep track of where you are spending your money.
Also, any credits (refunds or reversals) are not shown in your transaction history and are instead only credited to your wallet balance. This can cause the transactions vs wallet balance to mis-match.