Microsoft is pushing out a new software update for Nokia X, X+ and XL which brings some much-needed functionality improvements along with a better multitasking experience. This major update brings the new Nokia X Software Platform 1.2.x.x and is already rolling out in various locations.
New Features in Nokia X Software Platform 1.4 (Changelog)
The update basically tries to pull features down from the Nokia X Platform 2.0 which will only be available for the Nokia X2 and make them available for the older set of devices. Following is a list of the key changes in this update:
- App Switcher – Enjoy improved ease of use with the new app switcher – switch easily between open apps, or close apps with a single tap.
- Instant access to your mail, calendar, and notes with Outlook.com and OneNote.
- Updated Nokia Store – new design to help you find content more easily, and better integration with third-party stores. Store also includes a new Home screen Spotlight
- New scrollable widgets, call reject with a message, contact search in the dialer, automatic uploading to OneDrive, and local calendar support.
- General performance and usability improvements.
The App Switcher alone can make Platform 1.2 a worthy update. This was something really needed and was one of the criticism point when I advised to not to purchase one of these X series devices. Because unlike Nokia X2, the existing devices lack the 2nd hardware button, the App Switcher can be accessed by pulling down the notification center and clicking on its icon.
It is really satisfying that Microsoft decided to push these features to the existing users before killing off these devices. There are a bunch of Microsoft services which will be assessable more easily on the existing Nokia X devices and several apps such as Outlook.com, OneDrive and OneNote come pre-installed and more deeply integrated with the operating system.
Availability and How to Update
Nokia X Software Platform 1.2 update (around 150MB) is seeding to Nokia X, XL and X+ devices globally and should reach your device soon. You will receive a notification when the phone automatically detects an update. Alternatively, you can manually check for updates by going to Settings> About Phone> System Updates> Check now.
Do make sure that you are connected to a WiFi network before downloading the updates to save yourself from unexpected data costs. Alternatively, you may be able to update using your PC through Nokia Software Recovery Tool