While it was already possible to backup contacts and SMS to SD card on Lumia phones (via Transfer my Data app), Microsoft has now published an app called ‘contacts+message backup‘ to the store which can backup contacts and text/sms messages from any Windows Phone device (including Lumias of-course) to the MicroSD Memory Card.
Backing Up Contacts & Messages
The contacts+message backup app when installed does not show up in the list of installed apps. It instead adds an entry to the settings app called ‘contacts+message backup‘ which can be used to backup the contents. Here’s how to backup, step by step.
- Download and Install the contacts+message backup app from the Store. Store link and QR can be found at the end of this post.
- When installed, go to Settings and scroll to the end of the list and select contacts+message backup.
- Tap on agree to accept the license terms.
- Tap on backup, select the items to backup viz contacts, SMS and MMS and finally tap on backup again to start the backup process.
- The backup process will start and the progress can be seen towards the bottom of the screen.
Restoring Backed up Contacts, SMS and MMS
You can restore the backups to the same Windows Phone device on which the backup was made or on any other Windows Phone device which supports an SD Card. Here’s how to do that.
- Install the contacts+message backup app if not already installed.
- Insert the SD card or Transfer the backup+restore folder to the SD card of the Windows Phone on which the contents are to be restored.
- Go to Settings> contacts+message backup and choose restore.
- Tick the items to restore and then select the restoration point that should be used for restoring the contents (if there are more than 1 backups stored to the SD card).
- Tap on restore to begin the restoration process.
Installed the app on 640 but it doesn’t appear in “backup”. I checked 3 times following strictly your installation guide but still no result. What did I made wrong?
What version of Windows are you running on the 640, Josip? I’ve only tried it on Windows Phone 8.1. I’m not sure if it works with Windows 10 Mobile.
Right, it’s W10. I want to store my contacts in SD without using the Cloud but it seems that Microsoft made it impossible. I’ll buy a Sony Xperia and dump my Lumia forever. I don’t like to be spied. Unfortunately my old Nokia 71 with Symbian system doesn’t work with Whatsapp after June 30th. Thank you, Narender.
go to settings you will find it in there
Steve, the contacts+message backup app has gone MISSING from Settings in my Lumia 640 run by Win 10. It has been missing for a long time now. I’d backed up my Contacts + SMSs way back in 2016.
Did MS delete it for some reason? How do I then back those things up?
i have done the back. just easy…thank
its only copying one contact. I am trying but still same.
it was very helpful
Thank you so muchhhhh Microsoft.. I got all my contacts back, I really grateful to you. Your service is fantastic.
when I got all my contacts back..that moment can’t expressible. Thanks a lot.
[…] How to Backup Contacts & SMS to SD Card in Windows … – Restoring Backed up Contacts, SMS and MMS. You can restore the backups to the same Windows Phone device on which the backup was made or on any other Windows … […]
My Mobile is 640 XL and windows 10 , I can not able to get this app in stores, Can any one suggest me Pl
Thankzz , it was really helpful for me.
Thank you guys very much.
Helaas werkt het niet bij mij. Ik had mijn backup van smsberichten en whatsapp en contacten opgeslagen op de SD kaart.
Nu is dit niet terug te halen… iemand nog een oplossing ??
sms have been restored, but the contacts part is not following the process so. It jumps back to the previous page… what should be done now to restore my contacts?
i am also having the same problem.. can anyone help me plz
how to backup this contacts to android phone
Your contacts are auto synced to your Microsoft account. You can export the list from your Microsoft account and import it to the Google account.
THANK YOU SO MUCH , ITS VERY GOOD APP
Yes thanks it helped me to serve the purpose.
How to restore backup in android phone..
is it possible..
Pls Save My Contact information To SD card
Thanks found it really helpful
cant install this app. Not available on lumia store 🙁
after being wasted my important 2 hrs….
i came to this link….
System saves as an msg file and not xml…
I need the backup file in either xml or vmg so I can import to android
you can all do it by importing your contacts into gmail
then again export those contact from there…
Thank you sooo much
ummmah love u soooo much ♥
Why can’t I install this app (Contacts+message Backup) onto a Samsung Windows Phone when it clearly states above “Any Windows Phone Device, including Lumia” ?? Major frustration!!
That’s strange. What error does it show for the Samsung device? Not available? :/