WhatsApp is a popular instant messaging service for smartphones that needs no introduction. It supports Individual Chats, Broadcasts and Groups. Sometimes users want to change the admin of the group or add new admins as a few powers (like Adding new members, removing members; etc) are only available to admins. Read on to know how to promote more members as admins and how to demote the present admins.
Adding More Admins to WhatsApp Groups
WhatsApp group admins can not only add or remove members, they can now also promote members as admins. Promoting another member as admin will give him/her the power to add or remove members as well. To add more admins:
- Open WhatsApp group where you act as an Admin.
- Open the list of participants (members) by tapping on group info.
- Tap and hold (long tap) on the name or number of the member whom you want to make the admin.
- Tap on Make Group Admin.
The selected member will be promoted as an Admin.
Removing Admins from WhatsApp Groups
WhatsApp has added new features with the recent update. Now, all admins have the power to edit Admin members. So, they can remove an admin from his post without having to remove him and then re-add to the group. Here’s how:
- Open the group info page. You can tap on the group name (topic) to open group info.
- Scroll down to the list of participants.
- Tap and hold on the name/number of the member for whom you want to revoke admin rights.
- Select Dismiss as admin from the list of actions.
Note: Group creator acts as a Super Admin. He cannot be removed from his Admin position by any other admin(s).
You can also add or remove Admins in bulk via the option in Group Settings > Edit group admins.
Changing WhatsApp Group Admin
If the members want to have only one admin, the admin of the group can promote a co-member as an admin and then exit the group. Finally ask the new admin to re-add him to the group. He will no longer have his admin rights thereafter.
Get weekly updates via email!
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.