Nokia Amber update for Lumia phones which is going to bring a good bunch of goodies is already lying on the Nokia’s Firmware Repository for the delivery to be done through the Nokia Care Centers. So far the updates have been seen for the unlocked variants of the Lumia 920 and Lumia 820. The presence of Updates on Nokia Servers does not mean that the FOTA update will be delivered very shortly as both these are pretty different methods. Care Suite flashes the full firmware files whereas FOTA updates only contain the required update files and hence are pretty light-weight as compared to the Full Flash files.
Downloading and Installing Amber Update on Lumia 920 and Lumia 820
Before starting the update process, look for the update version and make sure the 2nd last block has a number higher than 1325. If its lesser, its not the Amber update and you should wait.
Updating a Nokia phone is a pretty easy process if we use the official Nokia Update Tools which are full of instructions and are fairly easy to use.
To update, we’ll need the Nokia Software Updater which is so easy that even front-end representatives can update phone software without the need of dedicated staff. Here’s how to update
- Do it at your own risk. If you have completely no idea about flashing, try visiting Nokia Care and they will update for you
- All user data and applications will be lost. So backup everything that you find important.
- Download and Install the Nokia Software Updater (link here) [Latest version 4.1.0]
- Run Nokia Software Updater from the directory where you installed it.
- Connect your Nokia Lumia phone to your PC. Make sure it has at-least 50% of battery left.
- Click Upgrade.
- The program will then download official Amber update files from the Nokia Servers and prepare them for installation to the phone. (Approx size for Lumia 820 and 920 is 1.2 GB). So make sure that you have a fast or at-least a stable internet connection. If the download breaks, it will start from the beginning.
- Once the Download is finished, the Files will be Flashed onto the phone. DO NOT disconnect your phone from your PC during this step.
- If the update is successfully finished, the phone will restart and you’ll also see a positive update log.
We’ve tried finding out, but the updates are not yet available for the Lumia 720, 620 or 520. 625 already comes with the Amber update pre-installed.
Were you able to update to Amber/GDR2 successfully? Let us know in the comments section below