How to Setup Mi WiFi Repeater/Amplifier with Other Routers

Mi Repeater Mi Power BankXiaomi’s little USB powered WiFi Repeater (some call it WiFI Amplifier) is a cheap and powerful tool to extend the range of WiFi networks. One downside is that (officially) it is only compatible with Xiaomi’s own routers and there is no documentation provided by Xiaomi to make the WiFi Repeater work with other routers. But there is a quick and easy way to make the repeater work with just any router, here’s how.

Setting Up Mi Repeater with non-Mi Routers

1. Connect the WiFi Repeater to a power source. You can plug it into a USB port on a PC, a power bank or even a USB wall charger. When powered, the repeater’s LED will start blinking in orange color.
  2. Download and install the Mi Home app on your Android smartphone.
    The app can be downloaded from the Play Store by searching for MiHome or opening this link.
  3. Launch the Mi Home app andΒ choose China Mainland as the region. This will make the app open in Chinese, but is more likely to connect to your WiFi Repeater.
  4. Tap on the + (Plus) sign at the top right. You can also tap the notification about 1 smart devices found.
  5. Depending on what is displayed, Select Mi Network Extender6f5c or other smart devices6f5c. If nothing is displayed, consider resetting your WiFi repeater by inserting a pin into the reset hole.MI repeater new Device
  6. At this point, you’ll be asked to login to your Mi (Xiaomi) account. Sign in if you already have one, else create a new account and sign in.
  7. Choose the network you wish to extend using the repeater and enter the original password for the same.
  8. Wait for Mi Home app to configure the WiFi Repeater to connect and extend your WiFi network. The LED light on the repeater will change from orange to blue indicating a successful setup.mi home connecting
    If the Mi Home app throws an error during setup but your repeater has a blue LED already, you can simply ignore the error. The repeater will work fine πŸ™‚

The SSID for your extended network would have your original network’s SSID followed by _plus. The password for the network will remain same as your original. This can be altered by following the steps below:

Additional Configuration of Mi WiFi Repeater

Once successfully connected, you will be able to manage additional settings for the WiFi repeater such as changing the SSID, its password or hiding it. Just tap on the Mi Network Extender on the homepage of Mi Home app.

Mi WiFi Repeater Settings

Additional Settings (Click to Enlarge)

Set Network Name to Same as Original

Turn on the toggle in front of option 1 (as shown in the image above).
This will make the repeater use the same SSID and password for the network and hence will only be detected where the original network is not accessible.

Change SSID, Password or Hide SSID

Tap on the option 2 shown in the image above and then look at the image below.

mi repeater change ssid

Change SSID/Password

• First field is the SSID
  • Second field is the password
  • Turning on the latter toggle will hide the SSID and you will be needed to manually add it to the device you want to connect.

Check the Clients connected to Repeater

Connected Devices Mi Repeater

Connected Clients

Tapping on the option 3 in first image will present a list of devices currently connected to the repeater’s network. You can view the Mac address and the respective IP address. However, no block or speed limiting functions are available.

If you have any other concern regarding the Mi Amplifier, consider leaving it in the comments section below. You can also post in our forums or message our Facebook page for a faster response.

JOIN OUR NEWSLETTER
Join over 3.000 visitors who are receiving our newsletter and stay updated about what is happening in the tech world.
We hate spam. Your email address will not be sold or shared with anyone else.

, ,

150 Responses to How to Setup Mi WiFi Repeater/Amplifier with Other Routers

1. Phil August 29, 2016 at 2:59 pm #

Thanks for your nice guide. I still search for a way to change the channel of the new extension-wifi. With the repeater on in one room the range of the original wifi will be disturbed and smaller in the opposite parts of the house because the two signals share the same channel.

2. Zunurain September 1, 2016 at 11:19 am #

Can it boost signal from univerrsity wifi(ie wifi that requires sign in)?

• Narender Singh September 1, 2016 at 6:32 pm #

No. Since the connection will initially be an open one. It will not be able to connect with an open network.

3. Dan September 29, 2016 at 7:23 pm #

Hey,

thanks for the guide! I just got it to “work”. The repeater connects to my router, the LED of the repeater is blue. But when I connect my phone to the repeater, I don’t get internet… do you got an idea?

Thanks!

• Narender Singh September 29, 2016 at 9:45 pm #

Is the source AP working fine and you get normal connectivity using that? You might wanna try resetting and then setting up the repeater again.

• Dan September 29, 2016 at 10:58 pm #

Yes, the source AP is working fine and I get a normal connectivity. I already resetting it, but this doesn’t help πŸ™

• Narender Singh September 30, 2016 at 12:20 am #

This is strange, mate. Let’s do a bit more of troubleshooting:
          1. Does the MiHome app say successfully connected or displays an error but blue light glows?
          2. Can you try changing the authentication method of the source AP? A WPA-2 personal setup has worked fine for me.
          3. Is there some sort of Mac filtering enabled in the source AP which only allows certain devices to access the WAN?

Other than these, I cannot think of any reason why it is not working. Try connecting it to some other AP to isolate any issues with the repeater hardware.

4. Dan September 30, 2016 at 3:54 am #

1. Yeah, the App says it successfully connected and I can change the SSID and so on.
    2. I tried alle of them. No one works.
    3. No MAC filter is set.

I also tried to change all kinds of options, but nothing seems to work. I don’t have no other AP to test it now. Damn… but thanks for you help!

• Djepri October 4, 2016 at 9:54 pm #

I have same problem. After you get blue light just turn off and turn on again.

5. Julio September 30, 2016 at 10:41 pm #

thanks for your help, its work like a charm. great stuff with low price as well.

6. widi October 14, 2016 at 9:40 am #

can this mi extender or mi router become wifi adapter? because i need to connect my old non wireless pc to wifi

• Narender Singh October 14, 2016 at 10:22 am #

No it won’t. It just is a repeater and USB is only used for power connection.
      You’ll be needing an actual WiFi Adapter either based on USB or PCI.

7. zash October 18, 2016 at 8:55 am #

When i connect the Mi extender to my samsung
    device it setup end at 90% with error connection
    time out but the blue light is turn on and it
    also extend the wifi. The main problem is that
    when I connect my phone to extender it failed
    to connect to internet even it connected to device.

8. Vern October 25, 2016 at 10:10 pm #

HI Narender, thanks for this it worked like a charm. what is puzzling thought is that upon the detection of the wifi, it only allows me to choose the 2.4G over the 5G. which means my 5G was greyed out. have you encountered this before?

• Narender Singh October 26, 2016 at 12:19 am #

Hi Vern, as far as I know, the repeater does not support 5Ghz and can only work over 2.4Ghz.
      That said, I haven’t actually tried it myself with a 5Ghz network.

9. Mikail November 9, 2016 at 8:15 pm #

Hi Narender, i get the notice didn’t find available devices,keep scanning?

Orange light is blinking i can see de device on the wifi list.
    I have reset it for many times.

• Narender Singh November 10, 2016 at 10:01 am #

Did you try adding it manually?

10. Mikail November 10, 2016 at 3:16 pm #

The problem was my android phone,i tried with iphone and it worked.
    Now can i use it with my phone also.

11. mw November 10, 2016 at 5:10 pm #

Rather mixed feelings about this odd WiFi extender:
    – it can only be managed through a special App (running on phones, not Windows)
    – the app requires an account with MI, otherwise it won’t see the extender
    – the needed app MiHome exists multiple times at Google Play, different vendors and products!
    – even after creating an account the app would not let me log in; ‘failed to connect to MI..’, repeatedly
    – after installing a newer revision of the app it would join the MI network, would see my extender, but could not establish a network connection to my home network. Always the same pattern: ‘just a sec..”, running from 27% to 44% and reporting connection failure, repeatedly, the LED kept blinking, the ‘blue light’ never appeared.
    – the same error occured with two different routers (Speedlink, FRITZ!box), regardless of security settings used (WPA+WP2, WPA, WPA2, WEP, totally open)
    – Interestingly the same error would occur with the correct or any incorrect network passwords used, so the password was never really ‘used’ by the app during the connection process!
    – the SAME app MiHome WILL run on a cheap Android TV box and DOES connect to a router from there, so the issue is with the app and Android device it is installed on. Also this WiFi extender operates apparently ONLY if using WP2 exclusively (what a weird expectation by the manufacturer!).
    – Summary: only specific Android devices and a unique software plus a unique MI account from Xiaomi will allow to configure this WiFi extender and only if using WPA2 security. Any other method will utterly fail.

Once it is tuned to the home network its signal strength is astonishingly high, as is the bandwith it can operate at.
    It will keep the settings once powered down and up again; it re-connects within 10sec or so, that’s ok.

The overall shaky design of the hardware and dependency of crappy (Chinese!) software may explain why this Xiaomi M WiFi extender I is sold for $6 now: just too many issues with its setup and maintenance,

A tinkerer’s toy at best, needing diligence, experience and a lot of good luck to get up and running.
    It will reward the user with high speed transfers over large ranges, even between buildings and across floors.

• Narender Singh November 12, 2016 at 1:25 am #

Thanks for the long writeup, mw. I had similar experience with this app. It worked on my older android phone, but not on my newer. Sometimes it would get me blue light and still say failed to connect. In short, it’s a lot of luck game to get this thing connected.

But I also learned that this is actually a utility to be bundle with their Mi router. And with the router, it just requires a plug-in and plug-out in the USB port on the router. So maybe the issues are here because the main purpose of this product is to extend range of Mi Routers. It working with other router is just an icing on the cake. However, that’s just my POV. And yes, if it is somehow made to work with other routers, it could’ve been improved to provide a better experience and reliability.

• mw November 12, 2016 at 2:05 pm #

Agreed.I never heard about the MI home automation stuff before, just took advantage of this cheap WiFi extender (it is not really a ‘repeater’, as it has no brain, cannot be configured like a real repeater).
        The market for these MI devices seems to be restricted to Asia, and the software seems to be designed around PHONE based control exclusively, so there is no support for Windows PC or Macs.
        The required account setup is making me feel uneasy, as it is with these remotely accessible Chinese webcams. We all know now what kind of dangerous games can be played with these, e.g. for dDOS attacks…

My writeup’s intention was to summarize ALL the issues I encountered during its setup, and there was an astonisihingly long and diverse list of issues to overcome for sure. So maybe others can benefit when struggling, after all the sales price must have pushed thousands of these things into the market.

It is working OK now and I will keep it that way: broadcasting DSL from one building to another, quite an astonishing performance I did not expect to work that well.

12. Mr X November 11, 2016 at 6:13 am #

China Mainland option was wonderful. I was trying with English and it not work. Thanks for the help.

13. Vivek D November 13, 2016 at 11:29 pm #

Hi. I am trying to connect to TPlink 841 to MI Wifi. Set up is running until 100% and then connection timeout. No bluelight as well. Is it also because of my internet service provider? Any other suggestion

14. Jetse November 28, 2016 at 12:21 am #

I’m looking into the whole wifi extender thing. I have three floors. Would it be an idea to get three extenders? And does having these extenders influence the download speed?

• Narender Singh November 29, 2016 at 3:16 am #

Yes, speeds will be affected to some extent if you will route the network through 3 repeaters. You should consider installing a router with more signal strength. Installing your actual router on the middle floor can also be helpful in sending the network to 1 floor above and below. You can then use the repeater for covering broken areas. Repeating an already repeated network does not seem like an ideal choice.

15. zippo December 7, 2016 at 10:02 am #

thanks! I just got it to β€œwork” too. The repeater connects to my router, the LED of the repeater is blue.

I got similar problem as Dan

But when I connect my iphone using hotspot to the repeater, I dont get the connection and it keeps having blinking yellow light.

1) Does it work with hotspot connect to repeater from phone device?

Thanks!

• Narender Singh December 7, 2016 at 1:05 pm #

I have no experience regarding hotspot from an iPhone, but hotspot from an Android phone did work. If there’s a setting regarding hotspot, please change it to use WPA2 to secure the network. Open network or other security protocols just don’t work.

16. Aksohri December 8, 2016 at 9:21 am #

When i plug then repeater to a usb source it dosent show any led. It is not powering on.
    Please help

• Narender Singh December 8, 2016 at 12:08 pm #

Seems like an issue with the repeater. Try another USB source to confirm that the USB isn’t the one at fault.

17. Arema December 21, 2016 at 9:22 pm #

For two days I followed your procedure — alas it was a pain in the neck to setup not to mention deciphering its Chinese language (actually I managed to change into English but still confusing). Almost took a hammer to crush this Xiaomi Wifi Repeater, I plug it into my PC USB 3.0 and to my amazement it works! In a nutshell, the repeater needs stable electrical current to setup. Always failed whenever I plug into a power bank or a tablet charger while finishing the setup — after the connection established I plug the tiny wifi repeater on my unused tablet charger. Without doubt, it runs like a champ! Kudos to you, Mr Narender Singh.

• Narender Singh December 21, 2016 at 11:20 pm #

The power issue didn’t happen with me, but the setup does randomly work and doesn’t at other times. Anyways, glad that the article was of at least some help. I wish Xiaomi made it easier to set it up πŸ™‚

18. heinz siegfried December 22, 2016 at 9:42 pm #

hello,
    does this repeater also extend the connection range of the gateway so mihome (e.g.door sensor) devices more far away could connect to it?

• Narender Singh December 23, 2016 at 12:23 am #

If you set it to use the same SSID as the gateway, that might be achieved. However, I won’t bet on it.

19. Jeanett Acosta January 4, 2017 at 9:08 am #

hi my friend! i would like to ask for help..when pairing my device to the yi repeater only 44% and it will be CONNECTION INTERRUPTED for so many times…and tried many time..what shall i do next?..many thanks

• Narender Singh January 4, 2017 at 8:05 pm #

Does the light on the repeater turn blue or stays yellow only?

• Raynald January 27, 2017 at 4:58 am #

I have sampe poblem. Tried with two different WiFi sources and got exact same result, always at 44%. Both with WPA2. Any suggestion or should I return unit?

• Narender Singh February 6, 2017 at 3:29 am #

You should try by changing to a different USB power source.

• Raynald February 6, 2017 at 4:29 am #

Got it!
          Once I tried again by first pressing the reset button in the pin hote, it finally completed the process.

20. Him January 4, 2017 at 11:18 am #

How to turn it off , i mean proper eject process ?

• Narender Singh January 4, 2017 at 8:04 pm #

You can just pull it out or turn off the power button. It is a plug & play device with USB only used for power πŸ™‚

21. Kelvin January 12, 2017 at 12:44 pm #

Hi anyone can help? would like to ask when pairing my device to the Mi repeater only 44% and it will be CONNECTION INTERRUPTED. it only show yellow light blinking.

• Narender Singh January 12, 2017 at 2:51 pm #

How is your original network secured? WPA-2 worked fine for me πŸ™‚

• Kelvin January 12, 2017 at 3:06 pm #

Hi, Yes. My original network secured – WPA-2. just not sure why my Mi repeater only 44% and it will be CONNECTION INTERRUPTED. Please advice thanks.

• Raynald February 6, 2017 at 4:32 am #

Resseting the device using the reset button in the pin-hole below the LED worked for me. Good luck.

22. Jen January 17, 2017 at 7:46 pm #

Can i limit the no.who can connect d wifi repeater? Or is it possible that im d only one can connect to the repeater? Tnx

• Narender Singh February 6, 2017 at 3:29 am #

No you cannot. But you can hide the SSID and keep to to yourself πŸ˜€

23. Evert January 22, 2017 at 7:38 pm #

I can’t et anny connection i did al above written and select China as mainland.
    Tried on a iPad Air and iPhone 6S with the latest 3.9.0 Xiaomi MiHome software.
    The online thing i’m not sure about is my password. My wireless password is abcdefg@1234 is that alowed?

• Evert January 24, 2017 at 2:12 am #

I’ll tried both on Linksys E3500 and Linksys E4500 routers with WPA2 personal as securety.

• Narender Singh January 24, 2017 at 2:06 pm #

Do you happen to have an Android device around? If possible, please try with Android as Xiaomi might not be properly supporting the app on iOS devices.

24. Tanja January 24, 2017 at 10:26 pm #

Do you know if there is a way of changing the language to English once the initial setup is complete?

• Narender Singh January 25, 2017 at 12:56 am #

You can’t change the region to other than China because the Repeater is not sold in other markets. The app will require a re-login if you change the region.
      When you choose Mainland China, the app displays most parts in English (provided you have chosen English as the language). The non-English parts (such as the additional settings page) have no English translation available and hence they continue to show in Chinese. Xiaomi only has English interface for products which are officially made available in other markets. Unfortunately, the repeater is not.

25. Jimm February 4, 2017 at 4:28 pm #

I want to connect to a network with wpa2-enterprise (username & password), but the app only says “Public networks aren’t supported”.
    What i have to do, to get the wifi repeated?

• Narender Singh February 4, 2017 at 9:40 pm #

You cannot use the repeater with an open network. Since in your case, the network requires additional authentication after initially connecting to it, the repeater will not connect to it, unfortunately.

• Jimm February 4, 2017 at 10:07 pm #

but it is not open, it is wpa2-enterprise, thats why i’m asking
        you cannot connect to the network without user&password, there is no separate authentification after connect…

• Narender Singh February 4, 2017 at 10:38 pm #

Agreed. Sorry for the confusion, but the repeater/MiHome app only accepts WiFi networks with a PSK. This doesn’t apply to WPA-2 Enterprise networks which usually use separate servers (such as RADIUS) and credentials to authenticate clients. I’m sorry but this Repeater will not work in your environment.

• Jimm February 5, 2017 at 6:49 am #

too bad, that doesn’t work πŸ™
            Thank you very much for your help!

26. Eiphnh February 17, 2017 at 12:19 am #

Fantastic, it worked fine for me, thank you very much for the explanation!

Comments Page Navigation