Reliance Jio is probably one of the most trending topics right now, thanks to its lavishing offer which provides free & unlimited voice, data (4G) and SMS service for three (3) months (or more). If that wasn’t enough, the preview offer also entitles the users’ unlimited access to key Jio digital services – Jio OnDemand, Jio Play, Jio XpressNews, Jio Mags; etc. That said, everything is not clear and hence we’re trying to answer some of the most frequent questions and doubts which people have regarding Reliance Jio.
- Reliance Jio – Basics
- Compatible Devices with Jio 4G
- Jio Preview Offer – Free Access for 3 Months
- Which LYF Devices are Eligible for Preview Offer?
- Which Partner Devices are Eligible for Jio Preview?
- My manufacturer is not listed under Partners. Can I get a Jio SIM??
- Where and How to get the Jio SIM with Preview Offer?
- How much does Jio SIM cost?
- How long does it take to to activate the Jio SIM?
- How to complete tele-verification?
- Can I use a Jio SIM card claimed with a LYF device on another smartphone?
- Can I use a Jio SIM card claimed with a partner device on another smartphone?
- What happens after the 3-month preview period?
Reliance Jio – Basics
Don’t confuse Reliance Jio with Reliance Communications as both are different companies and have different deployment, offerings and plans. Reliance Jio is a modern LTE network being introduced by Reliance Industries, led by Mukesh Ambani. On the other hand, Reliance Communications is managed by Reliance Group, led by Anil Ambani.
The best way to check the availability in your town is by reaching out to customer care or by manually searching for networks using a 4G capable device. If you see Jio listed under available networks, the chances are that Jio services are already available in your area.
Different frequencies are deployed in various towns, hence network reliability and performance will differ from region to region.
Compatible Devices with Jio 4G
Since Reliance Jio is deployed over 4G frequencies, it only works on modern 4G enabled devices. Existing devices which do not have hardware support for 4G services will not be supported. For best performance, you need to own a VoLTE compatible device so that voice calls can be easily made. If your 4G enabled does not have VoLTE support, voice calls can still be made by making use of the Jio Join app, but the call quality will not be as great as those made via devices with native VoLTE support.
4G Devices – No VoLTE Support
4G Devices – VoLTE Support
Jio Preview Offer – Free Access for 3 Months
Reliance Jio is yet to begin commercial operations, but for beta-testing purposes, Jio is offering free unlimited access to all Jio services for 3 months. The 3-month period can be (and will be) extended further until Jio rolls out commercial services. It is expected that the commercial rollout will happen in the month of December 2016.
The Jio unlimited preview offer is available in 4 different forms:
- On LYF Devices – Available everywhere
- On JioFi Device (hotspot/dongle) – Available everywhere
- On Partner Devices – Available almost everywhere
- On any 4G Device – Available at some places, but expanding
However, you might be needed to present a purchase invoice in order to get the Jio SIM with preview offer.
For a complete list of devices, please view this page on Jio website.
Such SIM cards are activated under the Jio Open Offer and can be used on any 4G enabled device.
The store staff can deny your request for the SIM card because there is no communication from Reliance in the public domain that all 4G devices are eligible for preview.
Documents required for getting Jio SIM:
- A passport-size photograph
- A photo ID and address proof
- Invoice/Bill – for LYF smartphones
- Offer code (barcode) – for partner devices
- Partner 4G phone to show – asked in some stores
To generate the barcode (on partner devices):
- Download MyJio app from the Play Store
- Open MyJio and choose to Install all Jio apps
- Upon installation, restart MyJio app and you will see the Get Jio SIM option. Tap on it and generate the barcode.
There are hacks available to generate the barcode on non-partner devices by making use of an older version of MyJio app, but users might face issues in activating the unlimited preview offer because IMEI is matched at this point. You should inform the Reliance Digital store staff that you do not have a partner device so that they can put your SIM under the Jio open offer instead of the partner preview offer.
However, your local mobile recharge shop owner can charge you some amount for delivering his services. This charge is currently between ₹50-200. The 90-days preview offer is still a fantastic deal even if you are required to pay a small amount for availing the SIM.
You will receive communication about the status of your application via text messages on your alternate mobile number.
When the store staff uploads the CAF and KYC documents to the portal, you will receive a text message with your application number for the Jio connection.
The back-end staff then verifies your documents to approve or deny your application. If approved, you can proceed to tele-verify your SIM card and start using Jio services.
If your application is declined, you will be needed to present a new set of clear documents and fill out the CAF again.
Tele-verification is an IVR based process where system asks for a part of the serial number of your identity documents which you submitted during your application. Example – the system will ask you to key in the last 4 digits of your Aadhar card.
To televerify, please dial:
- 1977 from your Jio number – To activate both data and voice services.
- 1800 890 1977 from any number – To activate only data services.
However, you will be able to use this SIM card in any 4G enabled smartphone after the expiry of Jio preview offer.
- Jio services are commercially launched – You will be informed of the available data and voice plans, and you can recharge the SIM card with appropriate amount to continue enjoying data and voice services on your Jio number.
- Jio services aren’t commercially launched – The preview offer on your SIM card will automatically be extended for another 30-days. The process will continue till Jio services are commercially launched, and available plans are communicated to you.