Reliance Jio is taking telecom world by storm, and there is no reason for Lumia users not to get excited. Many Lumia (Windows Phone, Windows 10 Mobile) users have asked us if they can use the Reliance Jio SIM card on their Lumia phone to enjoy unlimited calling and data access. The short answer is – Yes, but with limitations. Continue reading to learn more.
Does Reliance Jio Work on Lumia Phones?
If you have a Lumia phone with 4G support, the Jio SIM will work in the device. The limitation, however, is that you will be able to use ONLY data services and will not be able to make voice calls.
Most of the current Lumia phones have no support for VoLTE (Voice over LTE) which Jio uses to connect calls. No VoLTE support implies an inability to make voice or video calls. A few models (like the Lumia 950) which have hardware support for VoLTE have it disabled via software, and only an OTA update from Microsft can enable the service. We are not sure if (and when) Microsoft will bother enabling it.
Android phones can make voice calls without VoLTE via the Jio4GVoice app. Unfortunately, such an app is not available for Windows devices. Hence, Lumia phones can presently only use data services and not make voice calls.
How to Get the Jio SIM Card?
Reliance Jio is only offering SIM cards to users who present the barcode generated via the MyJio app. Since the app is only available for Android and iOS devices, Windows Phone users cannot directly generate the code. However, if you manage to get a SIM card, you will be able to make use of the SIM on your Lumia phone for accessing data services. A suggested workaround is:
- Make use of one of the eligible Android devices to generate a barcode. You can use a phone of your friend or a family member. However, one IMEI number is only eligible to get 1 SIM and hence the barcode will be unusable for the second time.
- Use the barcode to get the SIM card.
- Activate the SIM in the phone from which the barcode was generated.
- Start using the Jio SIM in your Lumia phone when the welcome offer gets activated.
Settings to Use 4G Data Services
- Now open Setting.
- Then open Cellular Data>SIM Setting> Enable 4G only.
- Tap on SIM setting and Create a New APN.
- Now simply add setting given below:
APN – Jionet
IP Type – Ipv4
Leave other fields and save APN.
Alternatively, you can generate a barcode by rooting the Android device and then using a random IMEI number. That way you’ll be able to get more than 1 SIM from the same device.
Get weekly updates via email!
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.