Sony mobiles today officially announced the mobile devices which will be getting the Android 4.4 (KitKat) update in the future. Sony has decided to cover most of its recent launches for the KitKat update which is a welcome step as there are many other Android OEMs who want to flood the market, but won’t offer any future update after the phones are released.
Which Sony Devices will be updated to Android 4.4 (KitKat)?
Following Sony mobile devices are announced to get the KitKat update in the near future
- Xperia Z Ultra, Xperia Z1 and Xperia Z1 Compact – Immediate Availability
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia Tablet Z and Xperia ZR – Available by Mid Q2 (Around May)
- Xperia T2 Ultra, Xperia E1 and Xperia M2 – Later Availabilty (No time-frame specified)
What’s included in the New Update?
- Tweaked Status Bar and Quick Settings – more intuitive and customizable. Also cleaned to ensure proper notifications.
- Playstation 4 like launch animation and livewallpaper across the lock and home screens.
- Upgraded Native Apps – Messaging, MyXperia, Smart Connect, Small apps, TrackID, TrackID TV, Sony Select and Smart Social Camera.
- Upgraded and New Media Apps – WALKMAN, Album and Movies, with Sony Entertainment Network cloud service integration.
Source – Sony Blog