Nokia 4.2 becomes the next Nokia smartphone to receive the Android 10 update. The update, which weighs 1.38 GB, is already available to download in over 43 countries. The Android 10 update for Nokia 4.2 bumps the build version to V.2.290.
Update 21/04/2020: The update is available in more markets as Nokia Mobile outs the Wave 2.
In the first wave, Nokia Mobile is delivering the Android 10 update in 43 countries. These are the countries where the carriers and regional authorities already approve the update. The remaining countries will be covered in wave 2 or as and when the approvals happen.
Also, as they did with the Nokia 3.2, not all Nokia 4.2 users are going to get it today. Only about 10% of the userbase will get the update today. If the delivery goes on smoothly, and they see no major installation issues, then 50% of total users receive the update by 12th of April. Finally, 100% of users should get the update by 14th of April.
- France (except Orange FR)
- Hong Kong
- Saudi Arabia
- United Arab Emirates
The update is currently pending approval in these countries:
- Bulgaria – Vivacom
- Colombia – Claro and Movistar
- Czech Republic – T-Mobile and O2
- Ecuador – Movistar
- El Salvador – Claro
- France – Orange
- Germany – Telekom
- Greece – Cosmote
- Guatemala – Claro
- Honduras – Claro
- Hungary – Magyar Telekom
- Italy – TIM
- Macedonia – T-Mobile
- Mexico – Movistar and AT&T
- New Zealand
- Nicaragua – Claro
- Poland – T-Mobile and Orange
- Romania – Telekom RO, OR RO, VF RO and DiGi Ro
- Slovakia – Slovak Telekom
- UK – All
The update is available in the Wave 2 to all the markets/regions excluding those listed in the above list.
The update is similar to what you’d expect from an Android One device. You will experience the same clean Android experience after you update your phone to Android 10. Still, here’s what you’ll see in the list of major changes.
- Gesture navigation: No more buttons to press, use gestures to navigate on your phone.
- Dark Mode: Reduce eye strain by setting the app backgrounds to dark
- Smart Reply: Quickly send intelligent replies directly from the notifications area
- Improved privacy and location permissions
- Android security patch 03-2020
Here’s a look at the official update notification. Your Nokia 4.2 will also receive another security update later this month to upgrade to the April security patch.
Download & install Android 10 update manually
Didn’t receive the update yet? Are you not from the eligible list of countries in the first wave? No problem! If you can’t wait to install Android 10 on your Nokia 4.2, then there’s a way. Follow the steps to manually update your Nokia 4.2 to Android 10 without waiting for the OTA update.
- Download the Android 10 update file from the following link:
Download link – Global users | EEA users
- Copy the update file to the MicroSD memory card on your phone.
- Restart your Nokia 4.2 into the recovery mode.
- Power off the phone.
- Connect the USB Cable
- Wait for the charging to start
- Press and hold Volume Down & Power buttons together.
- Select “Recovery Mode” from the options, then press the Power button to reboot to recovery.
- On the “No Command” screen, press and hold the power button. With that pressed, press and release the volume up button.From Recovery Mode, select “Install update from SD card”. Then browse the update file on your MicroSD card.
Alternate method: In case you do not have an SD card, then you can also use “Install update from ADB” and then use the adb sideload command to send the update file to the phone.
- Wait for the installation to finish. After that, reboot the phone and you’ll arrive to brand new Android 10 system.
Did you get the OTA update? Or did you manage to do the installation manually? Either way. do tell us about your update experience after updating your Nokia 4.2 phone to Android 10. Do you find the update worthy of the delay (although a lot of it must be due to COVID-19 outbreak)?
Thanks & credits: Utmost thanks and tons of appreciation to the “Nokia OTA Repository” channel on Telegram. The maintainer does a great job at fetching the OTA update links as fast and reliably as he can! If you’re on Telegram, be sure to check it out.
Tried I downloaded the zip followed the steps but while installing it aborts the installation and says E: Error in /sideload/Package.zip (status 1)
installation aborted . That’s all it seems there are errors in the zip file
The adb sideload stopped at 47% (adb sideload) with this error “Total xfer: 1.00x”
I tried the SD card method and the ADB method, neither of the two methods worked.
Interesting.. Can you kindly quote the error that you saw in the recovery screen when applying the OTA? And if possible, please share a picture of the error and if the install actually started, I’d appreciate if you can share the recovery logs 🙂
Ok, I’ve sent to you a screenshot of the log via Twitter