There are many reasons why you should regularly backup their blogs/websites. Losing the data due to any circumstance will create a big problem. So, a regular backup is must for every website no mater how good hosting service you’ve chosen. WordPress is the most used Blogging Platform. So, here’s a guide about how to backup the blog easily and securely using the Idrive’s WordPress plugin.
iDrive’s Plugin to Backup WordPress
iDrive is an online file backup service which lets you backup or store your digital files online. The free account which gives you 5 GB of free storage to backup your blog. IDrive’s Plug-in for WordPress is an easy to use backup utility, designed specifically to backup WordPress blog data into your IDrive online backup account. It provides scheduled as well as immediate backup of WordPress blog data including files and MySQL database dump. Here’s how to get started with it:
- Download, Install and Activate the plugin at your WordPress blog. The plugin can be downloaded here. You can also search and download the plugin through the in-built plugin installer.
- Go to the Plugin’s settings page (Dashboard> Settings> iDrive) and create a new account. You need to signup for a new WordPress account even if you already have a regular iDrive account.
- Once signed-up, you’ll be taken to the backup page. You don’t need to make any changes to the settings. The default ones will go fine.
- Just click the Backup Now button to initiate your very-first backup.
- If you need to restore from a backup, it can be done easily using the Restore Now button.
They use Smart Backup which only copies new or updated file after the first backup. So, there’s no need to make full backups daily. They also offer a restore application for Windows which allows you to download your backups from Idrive for WordPress account to your computer.
Requirements of the Plugin:
- WordPress 2.8.5 or higher hosted on a Linux Server.
- PHP 5.1 or higher.